The Standards Committee (SC) consists of two representatives from each of the 10 industry segments. Standards Committee members are elected by the segment they represent. The Standards Committee reports to the NERC Board of Trustees and oversees the development of NERC Reliability Standards as its members:
- Review actions to ensure the standards development process is being followed;
- Review and authorize Standard Authorization Request postings;
- Manage progress of Standard Authorization Requests and standards development efforts;
- Review and authorize drafting of new or revised Reliability Standards;
- Authorize the development of supporting documents;
- Make appointments to drafting teams.
The Standard Processes Manual requires each industry segment to elect up to two representatives to serve on the Standards Committee.